Thursday 8 March 2012

How to Fail a BBC Interview - part 2

I spent most of yesterday filling out an application form for a Floor Runner position on Russell T Davies' new CBBC drama called Wizards Vs Aliens which will be shot in Cardiff. Whilst I was in the midst of writers block it gave me the perfect opportunity to reminisce about the last time I went down to the capital of Wales for an interview with the BBC back in December 2009. Although it wasn't as horrible and daunting as my first interview experience with the Beeb in Glasgow (you can read about that here), I still didn't get the job and I thought it would only be right to recount the experience to you all.

Since the interview in Glasgow where I completely failed to come across as a normal, rational and competent human being in every way possible, I had been applying for any kind of job within the the industry that I felt I was capable to do. I was still living in Chester but had found some regular work experience with a retired BBC cameraman who lives in the city and covers a whole range of corporate and council run events. I was doing a lot of boom and sound work with him and he was a good laugh to be around. With every job I helped out on, my confidence was growing so I felt more justified to apply for jobs at the BBC, ITV and other larger broadcasting companies. I also have a lot of admin, customer service and reception experience under my belt which helped broaden the range of jobs I felt confident applying for.

Luckily I only had to wait a couple of months for my next BBC interview. This one was for an Information Archive Assistant down in Cardiff and I would be lying if I said I didn't have visions of spending most of my working days being paid to watch Doctor Who.

On the day of my interview it was really cold and there was snow on the platform when I got off the train at Cardiff Central. I was cursing the fact that I had listened to the advice of my friends and colleagues who after much persuasion convinced me that turning up for an interview at BBC Wales wearing a 20-foot-long hand knitted Tom Baker scarf would not be a good idea. I had left myself plenty of time to figure out where the hell I was going and to navigate buses and as such I ended up getting there a whole hour early. Normally this wouldn't be a problem because I would just find myself a nice little cafe to sit in and compose myself whilst drinking my entire body weight in mochas. On arrival however, I soon discovered that the headquarters for BBC Wales was situated right on top of a hill with nothing else in the near vicinity other than some residential bungalow type buildings. Luckily though, the chap on the front desk took pity on me and directed me to the canteen where I could sit and stress in comfort whilst hugging a huge vat of tea.

When it was finally time for someone to collect me I wasn't actually feeling too nervous which took me completely by surprise as I normally turn into a blundering mess at even the most basic of interviews. The panel was made up of two lovely women and the atmosphere in the room was quite relaxed. We had a bit of banter going on between the three of us, they told me about their brief encounters with David Tennant in the corridors and we all had a little collective wishful sigh at the end of that conversation. They didn't ask me any really horrible questions apart from one (give us an example of a deadline that you failed to meet) and I calmly delivered a witty response about trying to knit Christmas presents for my family in time.  I realised I was actually enjoying being there and talking to these women rather than wishing it would all be over as soon as possible and hoping the ground would swallow me up.

I went away from the experience feeling that I probably could have answered the questions slightly better but I didn't really care because my overall emotions from that day were of extreme happiness and joy due to  remembering to take my confidence into the interview room with me rather than leaving it in the foyer, asking it to be good while I'm away and picking it up on my way out. At the time I felt that even if I didn't get offered the job (I found out a week afterwards that I was unsuccessful) I knew that I actually had the power within myself to refrain from turning into a blundering mess as soon as I sat down in front of an interview panel and I didn't have to be the cowardly lion any more.

Read about my first BBC interview experience in Glasgow

Coming up in part 3 - I revisit Television Centre for probably the last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment